Interview with Kevin of Brilliance in Diamonds



Why do you choose to do what you do? 

If you had told me ten years ago that I would be in the jewelry business, I would have laughed.  I actually fell into the jewelry business by accident, and it was the best thing that has ever happened to me.  I choose to do what I do because I absolutely love helping people select beautiful diamonds and create unique jewelry pieces that they will have for the rest of their lives.  Prior to starting my business, I worked in the wholesale and retail sectors of the jewelry industry.  One thing I noticed on the retail side is that every place within the industry wanted to sell something to their customers out of their display cases.  When I started my own business, I thought to myself, “Wouldn’t it be more fun and even more special if people could create truly one-of-a-kind pieces of jewelry?”  Best of all, my low overhead business model allows me to help people get a better diamond and setting at a price usually at least 50% less than a typical retail jewelry store.  The guy saves money and the girl gets a bigger and better diamond…it’s a win-win!


What is your favorite thing about what you do?

There is nothing more rewarding than receiving the calls and text messages right after the proposal and hearing how happy the couple is. I'm sure I am not the first person they share the news with, but the fact that I am on the list and they take the time to do so lets me know I did my job well. I love the relationships I have developed with my customers. More than any one piece of jewelry, these relationships are by far the most special thing that has ever been created by Brilliance in Diamonds. 

What is your long-term goal and what are you doing in the short term to meet it?

My long term goal is of course continued growth while simultaneously not sacrificing the amount of attention I pay to every customer.  My mindset has always been to make every customer feel as if he/she is the only person I am working with at the time--when the reality is I am working with multiple people on various projects.  One of the smartest moves I have ever made was to ask my wife Liz to come on board.  As a business owner, it can be tough to admit you can’t juggle all the balls at one time. As soon as you do, however, you unlock the next level of growth.  

What do you consider your greatest accomplishment?
My greatest accomplishment was taking the initial risk and leap to start my business.  I had to take out a sizable piece of my 401k, which goes against the advice of almost everyone on the planet.  It wasn’t an easy thing to do and I wouldn’t recommend it to everyone.  Instead of simply viewing it as tapping into my 401k, in my mind I was essentially reinvesting that money in myself.  Deep down I knew I held the keys to the success of that investment through hard work, sacrifice, and dedication to what I wanted to accomplish.

What are you looking forward to in the coming year? 
The holidays are the busiest time of year in the jewelry business and are always fun, crazy, and exciting.  During this time I find myself operating at full speed while also getting pulled in multiple different directions.  For me, this is an ideal environment because I thrive in the chaos. 


When I'm not designing jewelry I...

enjoy boxing, collect Jazz Fest posters, travel, and experience all that New Orleans has to offer with friends and family.